Written By: Cait Scudder
It's no secret that the way we start the morning has a profound impact on the energy we carry, the experiences we attract, and the way we operate throughout the rest of the day. There is never a more important time to fill our own well.
So often in the hustle and bustle of our busy lives, we forget that we actually have a choice of how we set the tone for the day ahead. We can decide to actively cultivate rituals that promote optimum vitality, connection, and well-being, or slip into unconscious patterns, move along, and suddenly find that we're rushing to the car with a bagel in hand, rummaging frantically for the keys.
Yet the simple act of remembering that we have the power and agency to begin the day vibrantly opens the space for a sense of empowerment, possibility, and creative flow. The moment we recognize that we have the potential to infuse meaning into those first precious moments of the day, we train ourselves to be creatively engaged with all of our time.
And, let's be real. It takes commitment and an ability to see the big picture to create—and stick to—a morning ritual that actually compels you to get out of bed 30 minutes earlier. It comes down to one simple question—ultimately, what choices make you feel better? While hitting snooze and staying in bed might feel amazing in the moment (which it does), designing a ritual for yourself that makes you feel more abundant and spacious in your day, healthy in your body, and clear in your mind is ultimately going to feel a whole lot better.
Here are six simple tips for designing your own personal morning ritual that infuses your morning with meaning, inspiration, and presence. And remember, there is no "right" order to building a ritual. The most important thing is that it works for you.
1. Make a sacred space. Create a special place where you can connect with yourself in the morning. This could be a part of your bedroom, an outside space, or a shared living area. Fill this space with affirmations, art, or sacred items that invoke a sense of beauty, inspiration, and encouragement. Remember, your physical space determines your head and heart space. Make your external environment reflect the qualities you seek to strengthen!
2. Hydrate and appreciate. After a full night of sleep, the biggest gift you can give your body is a generous drink of pure water (ideally with a squeeze of lemon). Take the time to appreciate the clean water accessible to you. Watch how this simple act of bringing awareness and appreciation to one of our most basic human needs sets the tone of abundance to your morning.
3. Be silent. Whether you have 5, 10, or 20 minutes in the morning, take a few minutes to simply be, without writing, thinking, or doing. Be with yourself. Indulge in solitude. Notice the rise and fall of your breath, and let go of the need to constantly respond to the thoughts passing through. Oftentimes, these simple moments of silence can result in clarity, insight, and integration before the movement of the day's activities.
4. Get in your body. Whether that means going for a walk in nature, stretching on your yoga mat, or putting on music to dance, give yourself the gift of movement in the morning. Awaken your spine, refresh your cells, and get your blood flowing. Not only will this provide you more physical energy throughout the day, it will revitalize your spirit.
5. Set an intention. Write down your intention for the day in a journal, on a whiteboard, or on a piece of paper. Take a moment to get clear with the universe about what you're calling in for the day ahead. What is your goal for the day? It doesn't have to be a tangible thing; it could be as simple as being gentle with yourself, extending more kindness to others, or taking the time to express your creativity. Putting language to that which we're calling forth has a powerful impact on our ability to receive it when it comes.
6. Nourish. Make it a point to enjoy living, vibrant food to start the morning. Your body and spirit crave it! After water, begin the day with a nutrient-dense smoothie or juice and gift your body with the energy it needs to soar full-power into the day.